Monday, January 17, 2011

Locavore Shopping South Florida Style January 2011

As a farm-to-table journalist I prefer to buy produce and meat local to wherever I am staying. Currently, I am in South Florida.

I started my search for local items on Saturday, at the West Palm Beach Green Market held at Waterfront Commons in downtown West Palm Beach, Florida.

I bought salad greens and flowers, organically grown in hydroponic shade houses, from Swank Specialty Produce (Loxahatchee, Fla.); cucumbers, organically grown in soil, from D and D U-Pick and CSA Farms (Palm City, Fla.); and heirloom tomatoes, grown hydroponically in greenhouses, from Farmhouse Tomatoes (Boynton Beach, Fla.).

On Sunday, I went to the Parkland Farmers' Market, located at the Equestrian Center at 8350 Ranch Road in Parkland, Florida.

I bought raw honey from the Broward Beekeepers Association (Coconut Creek, Fla.); ground grass-fed beef from Arrowhead Beef (Chipley, Fla.); spicy cooked collard greens from caterer Misty Wings and Greens of Palm Beach (Palm Beach County, with collards from Georgia), and jams from a regional company called Appalachian Harvest (Cashiers, North Carolina).

On the way home, I stopped at the West Palm Beach service plaza (mile post 94), and bought red navel oranges from Al's Family Farms (Ft. Pierce, Fla.).

No comments:

Post a Comment