Friday, September 16, 2011

Drumstick Pods: A South Indian Favorite Grown in South Florida

Drumsticks pods, a popular south Indian curry ingredient, have a limited season in south Florida. They are ususally only grown for private use. I bought my Drumsticks at Maria's Produce, 4361 Hypoluxo Road, Lantana (near Military Trail).
Green Drumstick Pods next to banana
They had such a hard shell I wasn't sure where to begin. So, I asked a fellow shopper, an Indian woman, how to prepare the pods. She said to hold a pod at one end and smack the other end on a hard surface to crack the shell. Then take a spoon and scoop out the seeds before boiling.

When I got home, I realized I needed more info, and went online for recipes. Most recommended boiling, one-inch pieces, for 15 minutes. I followed the Indian woman's suggestions and the online recipes. Fifteen minutes did nothing to soften the outer shell but it left the inner flesh translucent and edible (otherwise it is too bitter to eat).

I picked up a piece, placed it between my teeth, and pulled. It was just like eating artichoke leaves, and it tasted a bit like artichoke mixed with asparagus. Next time though, I'll leave the cooking to Taste Of India Restaurant on Okeechobee Blvd, in West Palm Beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment