Sunday, November 27, 2011

Gluten-Free to Organic Items: Sarasota Farmers Market, Fla.

Sarasota Farmers Market overflows with selections from gluten-free caterers to organic farmers' produce.

I was pleasantly surprised by the variety and number of vendors at this 30-plus year old, farmers market in downtown Sarasota, on the West coast of Florida. It took up three city blocks in a row and eight side streets and included over 70 vendors. There were three-organic farmers, many plant vendors, lots of food booths, crafters, dog treat booths, coffee merchants, honey producers: and the list went on and on.

Sarasota Farmers Market, Fla.
Copyright 2011 by Helen a Lockey
I stopped by Good to be Gluten-Free catering, run by former restaurant owners Christine and Jeff Harman. They had a broad selection of gluten-free items on one side and gluten-free, lactose-free items on the other. I bought some lactose-free cup cakes.

Copyright 2011 by Helen A Lockey

Jeff said I had to be careful with his products because they did not have much of a shelf life.

I also stopped by Worden Farm's booth, a certified organic farm in Punta Gorda, Florida.  Chris Worden, the owner, smiled and answered as many questions as there were about his produce. He wanted his customers to find what they were looking for: hyper-fresh organic produce as reasonable prices. The booth also served as a pick-up location for Worden's CSA members.

Copyright 2011 by Helen A Lockey

The day I went, the booth was crowded with equal numbers of fresh produce and customers. I bought a delicious spring mix bag for $4, red baby kale bag also for $4, and the biggest head of endive lettuce I had ever seen for $4.

I ran out of time and did not get to visit with as many booths as I desired. So next time I'm going to set aside the whole morning to see what other treasure the Sarasota Farmers Market contains.

Parking can be a challenge. But I found a free, multi-level, garage, just across the street from the Sarasota Whole Foods Market on 1st Street, and around the corner from the market.
For a complete list of vendors go to this Sarasota Farmers Market page.


No comments:

Post a Comment