Monday, November 14, 2011

Schnebly's Winery, Homestead, Fla: Inventive Tropical Wines, Updated

Wines made from tropical fruit? Who does that? Schnebly's Winery in Homestead, Florida does.

Peter and Denisse Schnebly, South Florida residents for over 25 years decided to start making wine from tropical fruit in 2003. In 2008, I toured the facility and tasted just a handful of sweet tasting wines.

Now, the list seems endless and includes sparkling and dessert wines. This trip I wanted to try their avocado and coconut wines.

Copyright 2011 by Helen A Lockey



The outside garden had grown but the inside tasting room was still as bright and welcoming as I had remembered. I bought an Original tasting for $7.95 (five wines) and William was my wine pourer. His descriptions of what to expect from each pour, were mouth watering. My favorites were Dry Avocado, Avocado, and CocoVino. I bought a bottle of Avocado ($15.95) and CocoVino ($18.95).

Copyright 2011 by Helen A Lockey
When I opened my bottle of CocoVino at home I found the flavor of toasted coconut was stronger than the bottle I had tried at the winery, it was also cloudier. But it still went very well with my salty, sweet Thai dessert called khanom mor gang (baked taro custard).

To find out more about Schnebly's Winery you can visit them at 30205 SW 217 Ave., Homestead, FL 33030
Phone 305-242-1224

No comments:

Post a Comment