Monday, August 20, 2012

Childress Vineyards, Lexington, NC: Dry Southern Wine

My search for southern wines brought me to Childress Vineyards and Winery in Lexington, North Carolina. It was extremely rainy the day I swan into their tasting room 31 minutes before closing. I was looking for dry wines to take to a party. The cashier directed me to some chardonnay and then stopped, asking, "Would you like to taste the wine before you buy it?"
I, of course said, "yes."

Tasting and showroom at Childress Vineyards, Lexington,
North Carolina

She told me to hold on a moment, and went to talk to the wine pourers at the bar.  When she came back, she said one of the ladies was willing to stay a bit past closing so I could try some dry wines. But first I had to pay $15 for a Barrel Select tasting (including a souvenir glass).

I tried 2010 Chardonnay, 2010 Pinot Gris, Pinnacle, 2009 Cabernet Franc, and La Vie Del Blanc (a dessert wine). I had two favorites, the 2010 Chardonnay and 2010 Pinot Gris. The Chardonnay was very drinkable with a light citrus finish. The Pinot Gris surprised my palette with flavors of lavender, and Bosc pears.

My least favorite was the dessert wine because it was too sweet for me.

I bought two bottle each, of my favorites, and went back out into the rain storm. My party friends didn't know that North Carolina was producing wines. They were pleasantly surprised by the wines from Childress.

If you want to visit Childress Winery they are located at 1000 Childress Vineyards Road, Lexington, N.C.   Phone 336-236-9463
Or go to their website www.childressvineyards.com



No comments:

Post a Comment