Friday, August 3, 2012

Mooresville Ice Cream, N.C: Local Ingredients

I got a delicious surprise when I tried Deluxe peach-flavored ice cream. It tasted like sweet-cream butter, or like grass because that's what the best tasting butter tastes like.
Mooresville Ice Cream Company, Mooresville, N.C.

It was hot when I stopped at the corner of Highway 801 and 150 in Mooresville, North Carolina. I was looking for ice cream preferably with peaches--it was the season. There was a one-window ice cream shop at the back of the parking lot.

As I bought a two-scoop cup of frozen cream I asked if the peaches were local.
"I don't know," said the attendant, "I don't make the ice cream, I only sell it." She directed me to the main store in town but I didn't have the time. I had to get back to my hotel to meet my husband.

I licked and slurped my fast melting cup of ice cream as I drove. And then it struck me--this was the best tasting peach ice cream I had ever had.

Wow, I cheered inside my head, this is fantastic. I'll have to get some for my in-laws. Then I realized I couldn't remember the name of the shop or the name of the brand, so no ice cream for them.

I returned to the one-window shop three days later with my husband. But the shop was closed. The business next door gave us directions to the main store downtown. It was called the Mooresville Ice Cream Company and it sold Deluxe Ice Cream (the same brand I ate a few days before).

Inside the Mooresville Ice Cream Company shop,
Mooresville, N.C.

The saleswoman said the Mooresville Ice Cream Company started producing Deluxe ice cream in 1924. The present owner's family has a dairy farm where they source their milk and cream. They support local farmers by buying their fruit for ingredients.

We got some more ice cream--peach of course--and continued on our culinary tour of North Carolina.

To learn more you can visit them at 172 N Broad Street, Mooresville, NC  28115   Phone: 704-664-5456
Or go to their website www.deluxe1924.com

No comments:

Post a Comment