Saturday, August 4, 2012

Weber Haus Cachaça: Brazilian Environmentalism, Updated

At the 15th Americas Food and Beverage show last year, I tried some delicious Weber Haus Premium cachaça.  Pronounced ca-cha-sa, it is a liquor made from crushed sugar cane juice and is often classified as rum. But according to the Brazilians it is not the same thing.

Evandro Luis Weber of Weber Haus, at 15th Americas
Food and Beverage Show, Miami, Beach, Fla.
Copyright 2012 by Helen A Lockey
Weber Haus is an environmentally friendly Brazilian company harvesting sugar cane when its green instead of burnt like in South Florida. They convert the first 10 percent of the cane juice to ethanol to power plantation vehicles. After distillation, another 10 percent of the liquid gets sold to a perfume factory for scent binding.

Evandro Luis Weber, the company owners' son, told me through an interpreter, there are 5000 companies in Brazil that make cachaça. His company started making theirs in 1948 and it is considered the best tasting.

I had to agree after I tried his three-year aged Premium Black Label style. It was aged in French Oak for 18 months and then in Balsam for another 18 months. It had a rich vanilla and tropical flower scent that continued into the flavor. It was very smooth with a sweet finish.

They also produce a certified organic style, aged for three years in Brazilian Oak. It smelt like freshly pressed sugar cane juice rubbed with oak. And it tasted exactly like it smelt. Weber told me half of his cane fields were certified organic.

By the end of my conversation with Weber, he had poured me a sample of nearly every cachaça he produced. Thank goodness I only took small sips of this 40 proof liquor.


The Premium Black Label was my favorite. Unfortunately, I have not found any South Florida restaurants carrying it. I might have to travel to Brazil to get more.

If you want to learn more about Weber Haus cachaça, and can read Portuguese then go to: http://www.weberhaus.com.br/weberhaus/en

Updated May 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment