Sunday, September 20, 2015

Soursop (Guanabana), Excalibur Fruit Trees, Lake Worth, Fla.

Lake Worth, Fla.—Soursop (Guanabana) fruit grows in south Florida and tastes delicious. This tropical fruit, with origins in northern South America and the West Indies, tastes like a sweet and sour fruit salad. And Excalibur Fruit Trees in Lake Worth sells Florida grown soursop from their tree.

Florida grown Soursop (Guanabana), Excalibur Fruit Trees, Lake Worth, Fla.
Copyright 2015 by Helen A Lockey
This past June, I visited Excalibur for a tour and came across a bin of fresh soursop selling for $5/pound. Earlier in the year, I saw and imported version of this fruit selling for $9/pound at Robert Is Here Inc.'s fruit stand in Homestead, Fla.

It is a highly sought after fruit for both culinary and medicinal reasons. 

I have eaten frozen, preserved, and lightly pasteurized styles of soursop but never fresh. I thought it was tasty but I didn’t understand what all the fuss was about.

Soursop (Guanabana) in baskets for $5/lb. at Excalibur
Fruit Trees, Lake Worth, Fla.
Copyright 2015 by Helen A Lockey
So, I bought a slightly soft, green, prickly skinned, two-pound fruit to take home. The flesh inside was pure white in color, dense in texture and juicy. There were also a few hard, black, shiny inedible seeds.

And then came the taste…wow. My taste buds screamed in delight as the floral tart flavor was followed by an almost honey like sweetness.

It was the most balanced sweet and sour fruit I had ever tasted. In that moment I realized why my friends from the islands would go to any length to get fresh soursop.

I went back to the stand and bought more for my friends and myself. 

Unfortunately, the 2015 season is now over so I'll have to wait until next June to get more soursop at Excalibur’s.

Excalibur Fruit Trees nursery has a fruit stand that is open Monday to Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. They sell fruit picked from their trees, mostly by the pound. They do not accept credit cards for payment so bring lots of cash or a check.

You can also purchase a soursop tree from Excalibur to grow your own fruit. 

But beware, this is a tropical fruit tree and very sensitive to the cold. Excalibur's staff is very helpful and knowledgeable and will help you with growing instructions.

They are located at 5200 Fearnley, Rd., Lake Worth, FL 33467
Phone (561) 969-6988



No comments:

Post a Comment