Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Front Porch Restaurant, Tallahassee, Fla: Farm-to-table In The Capital

The Front Porch serves some food made with locally grown ingredients. It is a 300 seat restaurant located just north of downtown Tallahassee. This one year old restaurant is already on its second Executive Chef. And the menu has changed from Mediterranean seafood themed to Southern comfort food.

On the porch of the Front Porch restaurant, Tallahassee, Fla.
I went in for dinner on a wet October day and chose to sit outside on the covered porch. The menu had many dishes but one with truffle oil caught my attention because this is an ingredient I normally associate with Miami-Dade restaurants.

I asked my server if the chef was from Miami and told her why. She was not sure of his origins but said she would find out adding Truffle oil was also popular in Tallahassee restaurants.

When she got back she said he was from Shula's restaurant. Ah, I thought, a Miami based restaurant.

I ordered a salad with crab, avocado, and a mango salsa. The salad greens came from a local source within walking distance of the restaurant-- Ten-Speed Greens Urban Farm.

Salad with crab & avocado dressing, The Front Porch,
Tallahassee, Fla.
While I was waiting, house made corn bread was served with a side of butter.

The crab was surprisingly salty to me as was the unseasonal mango salsa but the greens and avocado dressing balanced out the saline experience.

After I paid for my meal I talked to a manager about where the restaurant sourced its ingredients. He said, "The grits come from Anson Mills (SC), cheese from Sweet Grass Dairy (GA), organic produce from Orchard Pond Organics (Fla.), salad greens from Ten-Speed Greens Urban Farm (Fla.), Oysters from Apalachiacola (Fla.) and the mushrooms come from Lake Seminole Farms (Fla.)."

To find out more about The Front Porch Restaurant go to www.frontporchtally.com or visit them at 1215 Thomasville Rd., Tallahassee, FL  32303

No comments:

Post a Comment